Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Poetry and Prose Corner February 2013

February Song

Yes, dear friend, her cold runs deep,
Her frozen earth of steely stone.
Even in the sun’s brief glow
Its sharp fangs penetrate the bone.

Bitter wind sweeps every corner
Of her tiny village square,
Sweeping from vast northern tundra
Spreads its pinpricks everywhere.

Bundled well in scarf and parka
Venture out into her fray,
Blinded white with falling snowflakes
Stop to watch her children play.

Snuggled now beside the fireplace,
Scalding cocoa warms inside.
Let the chill enjoy her conquest.
We have nothing left to hide.

And we huddle at her leisure
Watching as the days grow long,
Bound to leap with hope and joy
As February sings her song.

Dennis S. Martin
Lulu Storefront: http://www.lulu.com/dsmartin
Plays: http://sites.google.com/site/playsbydennissmartin/


Memory Lane a song by Femke Weidema and Deborah Wilbrink © 2013

When he sailed the raging sea, was he scared of what would be
Or hitched his wagon to a star, ‘cause it would take him far
Walking streets paved with gold where the nights were never cold
And people won’t grow old before their time
When I climb the Family Tree, I know so much more about me

I should write that down, I should save that story
I should write a book so the kids remember me
I’ve got things to say, I know they are still learning
I could steer away some pain with a drive down Memory Lane.

Did he find his wife to be, barn-raising in the field
Like grandpa found his bride and never left her side
Though many things were never said, he’d tell the story how they met
With love I won’t forget before my time.
When I climb the Family Tree, I know so much more about me.

I should write that down, I should save that story
I should write a book so the kids remember me
I’ve got things to say, I know they are still learning
I could steer away some pain with a drive down Memory Lane.

Memory Lane…
I will write that down, I will save that story
I will write a book, I will write a perfect memoir
‘Cause I’ve got things to say, I know they are still learning
I will steer away some pain when they drive down my,
When they drive down my Memory Lane

Valentine's Day
Painting By Denise Demaras

February is mostly cold, damp and gray
But warming it up is Valentine's Day.
Being in love or wanting one that's true
Is a dream everyone can share - even you.
Valentine's Day is almost here
Reveal your heart without any fear.
With words of true love this time
Write someone a song, letter or rhyme.

~Denise DeMaras




No comments: