Friday, February 8, 2013

Allow Me to Introduce Myself

By Megan Pacella

Sometimes it's hard to be the new girl, but since I started working with Writers in the Sky, I've learned that sometimes being the new girl is fun! After signing on with the talented WITS group in late December 2012, I was happy to finally meet up with the team over lunch in mid-January.
For those of us who work alone as freelance writers and editors, it's a gift to be able to sit face-to-face and talk about our projects and goals, and ask each other for advice.

While listening to other members of the team talk about their specialties, I realized just how much experience and affection I have for copy editing (or line editing, as some like to call it). I find it exhilarating to work my way through a manuscript and make it a consistent and grammatically correct document that flows smoothly for readers.

I've been writing stories since I could hold a pencil, but my first paying gig was manning the writing center at Lipscomb University from 2006 to 2007. I spent my time helping students improve their academic papers and turning their lists of skills into intriguing resumes.

After graduating with a B.A. in English from Lipscomb University, I immediately started working for Hammock, Inc., a custom content firm in Nashville, Tennessee. For three years, I helped manage three magazines: MyBusiness, American Spirit, and Soldier and Family Foundations. That's where I learned to love copy editing—especially on a rainy day with a never-ending cup of coffee in my hand.

From Hammock, I moved onto a variety of other projects: healthcare writing, music writing, business editing, and manuscript editing, just to name a few. Today, I split my time writing and editing music, healthcare, business, history, and human interest content. Yes, that’s a lot of different hats to wear! And I'm excited to put on a new one through my work with Writers in the Sky.

I look forward to working with new clients and collaborating with my talented team members to make your manuscripts and other writing projects even better. You're in good hands with us. Trust me.
 
You can follow Megan Pacella's adventures as a freelance writer and editor at megan-writes.com.

 

No comments: