Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Editor's Corner July 2009

My daughter, Sareya, gave birth to her baby at 12:24 a.m. on June 24, 2009. He weighed in at 9 pounds and 11.8 ounces and measured 21.5 inches long. Baby Liam and his mommy are doing well. Scott is the proud father. Here’s a photo. Amanda, my son’s wife, is due to give birth to Jonas next week! We are a growing and happy family.

I promised you an update on my research about short discounts for printing color books. Thanks to the information I have gathered from Aaron Shepard, Morris Rosenthal, and Dana Lynn Smith, I have discovered that Ingram will not deal with publishers who have fewer than ten books in print, and even then it may be difficult. So, I have opened an account at Lightning Source to make my book The Sid Series of holistic children’s stories available for printing there. They charge about $100 to upload the file and prepare it for printing. The whole process takes several weeks: you upload file, they process it, you approve it, Ingram adds it to their database, and Amazon eventually lists the book. Then, it will automatically become available through B&N.com, libraries, and anyone else who orders through Ingram.

Even though my book will be listed in Ingram’s catalogue, I probably won’t get many sales in bricks and mortar stores because I am not offering the typical “no return” policy and I am only offering a 25% discount to book retailers. Retail bookstores don’t take too kindly to that because they normally ask for publishers to sell a book to them for 55% discount and they want their money back if the book doesn’t sell within a short time period. However, bookstores could place special orders at the request of customers, which is the same deal you get with most POD publishers.
My color-printed, 48-page book will be available on Amazon.com for about 10 percent off the retail price. Since my publicity and 90% of the sales for all my books are transacted online, I will focus on selling the book through my own Web site. I’m still waiting for my illustrators to get finished with the artwork. Once they are done, I’ll compile all twelve stories into one printed book. Target pub date is September 2009.

I hope you enjoy this issue of WITS E-zine. There is a lot of great information from our subscribers.
Bookmark and Share

No comments: