Monday, May 23, 2011

Got Writer's Block? Try a Change of Scenery

By Dana Micheli

This week, I've been juggling a heavy workload with my preparations for a trip to Arizona to see my family. It will definitely be a working vacation, and no small source of stress, as I contemplated how this change in my routine would impact my efficiency in meeting deadlines. There were so many things to consider, not the least of which is my odd hours. I tend to work best in the middle of the night, a habit that's certainly not conducive to spending quality time with my firmly diurnal family.

But then I remembered how a change in scenery is often the best way to get my creative juices flowing. I've often found that a different climate—along with different people and conversations-- tend to bring about a shift in energy that allows me to view even the most challenging projects through new eyes. Most importantly, perhaps, is the fact that I will have to reign in my inner workaholic (to which I usually give control over my daily life). The restorative effects of this, I suspect, will remain with me long after I've returned home. And that is never a bad thing.

Now, I know you can't just hop a plane every time you feel blocked. But, you can certainly take a walk in a nearby park, write in a new coffee shop, or talk to a friend you haven't seen in a while. You may be surprised by what appears on your next page.

Dana Micheli is a freelance writer, editor, proofreader, and journalist. She has written and edited works of fiction and nonfiction, including novels (ghostwritten), news articles, resumes, business plans, and restaurant reviews. She also researched and wrote the legal and housing sections of New York: The Complete Resident's Guide (Explorer Publishing). She is also the business writer for WITS.



Bookmark and Share

No comments: