Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Attracting Your Ideal Weight: a written interview with author Zaheen Nanji

Behavioral weight loss expert Zaheen Nanji and 11 other self-improvement experts have recently released the anthology Unlock the Power of YOU: 12 Keys to Health, Happiness Success. Writers in the Sky is pleased to welcome Nanji with a written interview about her chapter, “Attracting Your Ideal Weight.”

WITS: How did you become one of the authors of Unlock the Power of YOU: 12 Keys to Health, Happiness and Success?

ZN: In 2008, I was certified as a Law of Attraction Facilitator by Michael Losier – best-selling author of Law of Attraction: The Science of Attracting More of What You Want and Less of What You Don’t. One of the facilitators, who is an author and a publisher, invited me to join other self-improvement experts for this project.

WITS: What made you write specifically about weight loss?

ZN: I struggled with my weight since I was a teenager and I went on my first diet at the age of 15. With my degree in food science and nutrition, and my background in coaching, I started to make changes in my behaviors and relationship with food. I dropped from a size 14 to a size 6. At the same time, I started coaching clients on behavioral and nutritional weight loss and they started to see the difference. I wanted to share my successful approach with others so they can end their inner struggle with weight.

WITS: In your chapter, "Attracting Your Ideal Weight", you explain how a certain type of
motivation can actually keep people from achieving their weight loss goals. How is that
possible?

ZN: Human beings are motivated by moving away from pain or by moving toward a goal.
People who struggle with their weight or are yo-yo dieters are motivated to move away from pain. They will start panicking when their clothes are getting snug and they feel horrible.
This pain will get them to exercise or go on another diet. However, as time goes on, they start feeling good, the pain is not there, motivation starts to dissipate, and this leads them back to their old patterns again. In my chapter, I show you how to move toward a goal consistently.

WITS: In "Attracting Your Ideal Weight", you share 5 key habits of people who maintain a healthy weight. What would be the most important one for our readers?

ZN: The key habit of “feedback”, in my opinion, is important. After coaching so many clients, I realized that the ones who were successful viewed major or minor slip-ups as feedback instead of failure. Individuals, who view slip-ups as failures, give up easily and continue to struggle with their weight. Feedback is the ability to learn from your previous mistakes or slip-ups and exploring what you can do differently to create the desired outcome.

WITS: Unlock the Power of YOU is an anthology featuring your work and the work of 11 other
self-improvement experts. Do you plan to write your own book in the future?

ZN: Yes. I am working on a memoir about how I overcame my stutter and other obstacles when I moved to Canada from Kenya without my parents at a young age. It will be released late next year.

WITS: Where can our readers purchase a copy of Unlock the Power of YOU?

ZN: They can purchase it from my website (www.zaheennanji.com) or from our wellness center - Shanti Wellness Centre. They can also get it for free if they enroll in my online weight loss course or individual coaching program. Information about both is also on the website. 

No comments: