Thursday, March 1, 2012

Book Review for The Organic Nanny’s Guide to Raising Healthy Kids: How to Create a Natural Diet and Lifestyle for Your Kids by Barbara Rodriguez with Eve Adamson

Review by: Sarah Moore
Pages: 272
Release Date: February 28, 2012
ISBN: 978-0738214894
Genre: health, families, children, organic eating

I could approach the review of Barbara Rodriguez’s new book as one who has spent years in the writing and publishing industry and share with you that The Organic Nanny’s Guide to Raising Healthy Kids: How to Create a Natural Diet and Lifestyle for Your Kids is crafted with an elegance and clarity of message that contributor Eve Adamson has brought to us multiple times before and that Rodriguez now displays as a true gift. Or, I could offer the perspective of an athlete who runs regularly and pays close attention to what I am putting in my body. In that case, I can assert that the wisdom Rodriguez offers concerning natural foods and health products is exactly the straightforward and practical information that will allow our children to start down a journey that puts them in tune with their mind, body, and spirit for a lifetime. Instead, though, I would like to give you my thoughts as a mother.

I have had the pleasure of knowing Barbara Rodriguez for several years and have had many conversations with her about my own children, particularly my concerns for their physical and emotional health as I raise them with the added pressures and challenges that come with single motherhood. From our first discussion, she spoke with a tenderness and a genuine passion for children as well for those who are blessed with the role of caretaker (whether that person be a parent, teacher, grandmother, or any other adult who is charged with the development of a child). She shared with me some wonderful projects that I could do with my children which not only allowed for quality time together but also gave them opportunities to tap into their emotional and spiritual selves. And, she showed me that it was possible to create simple meals that have allowed me to carve a few treasured moments out of our often hectic day. Just this event of nourishing our bodies together with whole foods and talking about what we are eating is so meaningful to all of us.

You do not just need to take my anecdotal writings to believe that Barbara Rodriguez brings credentials and compassion to her newly released book. She has worked for years as a nanny to celebrities, many of whom speak their praises for her within the pages of The Organic Nanny’s Guide to Raising Healthy Kids. Barbara is simply taking the methods and the ideas that have worked for her in dozens of homes and is now making the information available to the rest of us. In doing so, she is empowering mothers and undoubtedly will change the course of many lives for the better. As a mom who strives to “unplug” her family, explore the outdoors with all the beauty and messiness it has to offer, and raise a girl and a boy with as much of a natural approach as possible, Barbara Rodriguez’s work is a resource that I know I will turn to time and again.

If you are frustrated when you look at the list of ingredients in the meal that you are heating up for your family tonight and realize most of them were created in a laboratory, if you are worried about the statistics concerning childhood obesity and the reality that our children will be the first to have shorter life expectancies than their parents, if you just want a stronger and more meaningful connection to your kids in countless simple and beautiful ways, then please pick up a copy of The Organic Nanny’s Guide to Raising Healthy Kids and I know that your home will be blessed.

The Organic Nanny's Guide to Raising Healthy Kids can be purchased through Amazon.com.

Check out Barbara Rodriguez's website here!

No comments: