Friday, September 16, 2011

When is the Best Time to Think about Giving Up as a Writer?


by Yvonne Perry

JR: When is the best time to think about giving up as a writer?

YP: Never! A writer can't stop writing and feel that her life is in perfect order. We artistic types must write or do something creative to keep our second chakra open and the intense energy flowing. However, if you are referring to being a freelance writer trying to earn a living by writing, there are some checkpoints to consider. I'll touch on these in your next question.

JR: How do you really know if you have talent or if you're just wasting your time?

YP: I must have quit and questioned my sanity at least twice a week when I first started my freelance writing business. I was feeling like a fish out of water because I was no longer getting a regular paycheck I was accustomed to having. But, I'm very glad I persevered.

Every writer has talent that can be improved upon, but what's equally important is whether or not you have the discipline to stay the course and the knowledge to run a business. That doesn't mean you are wasting your time by trying. Additional education may remedy your frustration.

By being open to feedback and constructive criticism you can get a feel for how your audience is receiving the writing you are producing. Seeing clients return for second and third projects is another way to note this. If you take offense to suggestions for improvement, you will not progress as quickly. The red pen from an editor can be one of the best teaching tools available to any writer.

On the financial side, it can take several years before a newbie freelance writer actually starts to turn a profit. This is mainly due to set up costs and the time needed to market and establish your platform or online presence. Your first year may bring very little revenue because of the time you will need to spend building your portfolio and preparing to receive clients. If you already have a huge following on social networking sites, you are ahead of someone who doesn't. However, if all you've been Tweeting (Twitter) and talking about on Facebook is negative or personal, or if you have not been diligent about using correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation on these sites, you still may not have an audience that will trust your ability to write for them.

Once your business, online presence, and portfolio (writing samples) have been established you should be able to find clients with proper marketing.

JR: How do you balance being a writer and doing your day job?

YP: Freelance writing has been my day job for seven years, but prior to going full time as a writer, I worked at corporate job. I handled business set up in the evenings. This included researching the writing industry, taking writing classes, and creating my logo, Web site, and business cards, as well as seeking clients and learning to set prices for projects. By the time, I left my day job, I was ready to open my doors for business.

JR: How do you beat procrastination?

YP: By waiting to see what happens next. Just kidding! I believe in the law of attraction and that I am the creator of my life. Therefore, I have the incentive to take action and do whatever is necessary when the opportunity arises rather than waiting until later. I rarely let anything sit on my desk for more than 24 hours. If you really have a problem with procrastination, perhaps being a business owner is not the best career choice for you. From what I've noted, people do not tend to procrastinate on projects when they enjoy their work.

Recently, I have shifted my focus to writing and marketing my own books that help people find peace as they progress on their spiritual path (see http://weare1inspirit.com/). While I still maintain ownership and business oversight for Writers in the Sky Creative Writing Services (http://writersinthesky.com/), I no longer write for clients—unless someone should query me for a project I cannot refuse! J

JR: How do you make your writing different than anyone else's?

YP: There may be many books on the market on the topics that I address, but everyone's point of view and method of presentation is unique. My writing is straightforward and I don't mind sharing my heart when I know it will benefit others. While my writing is filled with personal stories that bring practical application to the things I present in my books, it is supported with comprehensive research, which lends credibility to my work. I also pay close attention to details and do my best to offer a product that has been edited and carefully proofread.

Yvonne Perry is a metaphysical author, spiritual coach, and teacher who helps others learn about oneness with Spirit through her books, teaching, and speaking. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Metaphysic from the American Institute of Holistic Theology. Yvonne is the author of several books. More Than Meets the Eye: True Stories about Death, Dying and Afterlife addresses suicide, near-death experience, end of life decisions, euthanasia, and spirit visits from the "deceased." (http://deathdyingafterlilfe.com) The Sid Series ~ A Collection of Holistic Stories for Children provides a role model for parents while entertaining children with stories that teach life lessons (http://WhoseStuffIsThis.com). Her latest book, Whose Stuff Is This? Finding Freedom from the Thoughts, Feelings, and Energy of Those Around You, is a resource for sensitive people who have been unknowingly carrying energetic burdens that belong to someone else. http://whosestuffisthis.blogspot.com/.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: